Friday, November 30, 2012

Breaking a Few Eggs to Make an Omelet


In France, you get 2 hours for lunch, and those who can go home to eat. This means, my husband and I  eat at home together nearly everyday. I love the extra time together, but sometimes I run out of a) ideas or b) ingredients! On these days, it's time for an omelet.

Omelets are deceivingly simple. For years, I would always set out to make an omelet, and then have to call it scrambled eggs by the time I had it on the plate. This is a nearly fail-proof method I've figured out over time. Granted, the Cordon Bleu probably wouldn't call it a true omelet, but it works for me!

Start by mixing eggs and milk and whisking well.


Chop your veggies. I had a zucchini and an onion lurking at the bottom of the fridge.



 Heat a pan with olive oil, and quickly sauté your onions and veggies, just enough to give them some color.

 Pour the egg mixture over the veggies (I added some walnuts in there too to give an extra crunch).


Here's the secret. Lower the heat to medium/low (depending on your stove), cover and DON'T TOUCH for about 10 min.


Add some cheese, if you'd like. I used a soft herb cheese.


Cover and cook on low (or just turn off the burner at this point) until just ready to serve. Take a spatula and fold the omelet in half. Cut in half (or whatever division is necessary per number eating) and serve!



Bon appetît!


No comments:

Post a Comment